These king cake cupcakes were a huge hit! Many people have asked for the recipe and today, with a few days left before Mardi Gras, I am glad to finally be able to share. Throw tradition out of the window and enjoy these cinnamon, pecan cupcakes all year long.
- White Boxed Cake Mix (makes life simple – make as directed)
- 2 Tbs. Cinnamon (divided)
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans (approximate – I only sprinkled pecans on half)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1.5 Tbs. vegetable shortening
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Mix cupcakes as directed on box mix and preheat oven as directed. Add 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and ½ teaspoon of lemon extract to batter.
- In separate bowl combine remaining 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to 1 tablespoon of sugar. (Feel free to adjust this ratio as desired).
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full with batter mixture. On top of each cupcake sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and sugar mixture. Take a toothpick and swirl the mixture into the cupcake slightly.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top if desired. Use as few or as little as you like.
- Bake as directed.
- Cream together the softened cream cheese, shortening, and butter.
- Add vanilla extract and gently add in the powdered sugar with the mixer on low.
- Add additional powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Top with purple, green, and gold sugar sprinkles for a true king cake design!
Cream Cheese icing recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction Recipe for Black Tie Cupcakes.