I shared how I make New Orleans Wedding Cake Cupcakes using a box mix that is doctored up. It’s a quick way to make delicious cupcakes, but when I have the time I like to take them up a notch and make them from scratch. The distinct NOLA wedding cake flavor really comes through. Enjoy!
- 2¾ cups cake flour (I use King Arthur)
- 1⅔ cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs whites plus 1 whole large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F & place your cupcake liners in your cupcake pans. (Makes 20-24 cupcakes).
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt (dry ingredients) on slow speed to blend. Add the soft butter and mix until evenly crumbly, like fine damp sand. (It may form a paste, depending on the temperature of the butter, how much it’s mixed, and granulation of the sugar used.)
- Add the egg whites one at a time, then the whole egg, beating well after each addition to begin building the structure of the cake. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the vanilla and almond extracts. Add this mixture, ⅓ at a time, to the batter. Beat 1 to 2 minutes after each addition, until fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes. A toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean when done.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour