This upcoming weekend is HUGE for Louisiana football fans. The beloved New Orleans Saints will be taking on the Detroit Lions in the Mercedes Benz Superdome on Saturday night in their first playoff game on the road to another Super Bowl win. Then on Monday night the LSU Tigers will be taking on the Alabama Crimson Tide in the BCS National Championship Game. That is a game that promises a free cardiac stress test for all fans! I have confidence that the Tigers will be victorious but it promises to be a true battle of wills!
If you need a tasty meal while enjoying these games or while supporting your favorite team this chili recipe is delicious and screams tailgating food. It’s hearty with some veggies mixed in and add a little flair on top such as sour cream, scallions, avocado, cheddar cheese, red onion, or toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve it with hot dogs and you’ve got yourself a football watching meal!
- ½ Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into ½' cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground meat
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 - 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning *optional
- 1 bottle lager (12oz beer)
- 1 can of kidney beans (19oz)
- 1 can of diced tomatos (12oz)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic.
- Cook while stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and additional spices if used and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beer, beans, the tomatoes and their juices, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened. About 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
I hope you enjoy and GEAUX SAINTS & GEAUX TIGERS!
Here are some other great choices for tailgating food: